19 Amazing Benefits of Cumin:
Besides its culinary uses, this aromatic spice is known for its medicinal properties since ancient times. Being an excellent source of iron, it aids in digestion, boosts the immune system and has anti-carcinogenic properties.
Black cumin seeds contain about 100 chemical compounds including vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and fatty acids. They are known for their healing qualities. The Islam culture believes that these can heal any type of disease except death while in Bible they are referred to as the curative black seeds. Thus, this spice has a rich history and was particularly favored by the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. In ancient times, it was even used as a method for payment of taxes and debts.
Skin Benefits of Cumin:
As stated earlier, this aromatic spice is renowned for its medicinal value and health benefits. Hence, it can be beneficial to your skin as well. Some of the cumin benefits in skincare are as follows.
Treatment of Skin Disorders:
It has a high content of vitamin E which keeps your skin healthy and glowing. Besides, the essential oils, cumin have disinfectant and anti-fungal properties which protect your skin from fungal and microbial infections. Topical application of cumin paste on boils, pimples, eczema, psoriasis and other skin disorders facilitates quick healing. A dash of ground cumin powder can also be added to your face pack to treat skin issues. It is also a good source of dietary fiber which helps in the cleaning process and removes toxins.
Vitamin E present in this plant triggers the anti-ageing processes within the body, thus preventing pre mature ageing symptoms. It acts as an antioxidant to combat the free radicals that attack the skin and cause signs of ageing like wrinkles, age spots and sagging skin. This combination of antioxidant effect and antibacterial capacity of cumin provides you with a healthy, beautiful skin that lasts far into your old age.
Cures Itchiness and Body Heat:
If you are suffering from body heat and skin itchiness, you can put some cumin seeds in boiled water. Once it is cooled, take a bath with that water.
Treatment of Burning Sensation:
Drinking cumin water can relieve the burning sensation of the palms and the soles.
- All you need to do is add one teaspoon of seeds to 4 litres of water and boil.
- Remove it from the heat and keep it covered.
- You can drink this water whenever you feel thirsty
- It is advisable to drink it warm in order to reap greater benefits.
Face Pack for Glowing Skin:
You can prepare a face pack by mixing finely ground turmeric and cumin in the ratio 3: 1.
- In order to prepare a peel off face mask, you can use honey instead of water to mix both the ingredients.
- Apply this on your face and wait till it dries up.
- Wash off.
- This will make your skin smooth and glowing.
- Honey can soothe the inflamed tissue and prevents the spices from becoming too dry.
- If you have sunburns or acne prone or blotchy skin, you can mix plain organic yoghurt with the spices.
- Apply some jojoba oil after washing off your face.
Hair Benefits :
Our hair is composed of many nutrients such as protein, fat, water and carbohydrates. These nutrients are required to enable proper growth of hair. Black cumin contains more than 100 nutrients and vitamins to replenish your hair, thus providing you with a healthy mane. Benefits of cumin for hair are surplus, let’s have a look at few of them:
Treatment of Hair Loss:
Black cumin is known to combat thinning of hair, baldness and falling hair.
- You can mix equal quantities of black cumin oil and olive oil.
- After a bath, apply this on your hair or on the bald portion of your head.
- This will promote hair growth as well as treat hair loss.
- You can also consume black cumin oil in the form of capsules for a few months.
Long and Shiny Hair:
Black cumin seeds can provide you with those long and lustrous tresses.
- For this purpose, boil 1.5 tablespoons of black cumin seeds in ¾ cup of water for 10 minutes.
- When the mixture cools down, use a strainer to separate the seeds from the water.
- Add a raw egg yolk to the black cumin water and mix well to get a homogeneous creamy solution.
- If you want, you can add a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture.
- Massage it on your scalp and allow it to stay for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wash off with water.
- This should be done every week or every alternate week for best results.
Treatment of Dandruff:
Oil extract of this plant is a great stimulant, carminative, antioxidant and diuretic. It is often used for massage in aromatherapy and scalp treatments to get rid of dandruff.
Health Benefits :
Let’s have a look at the health benefits of cumin seeds:
It helps to lower blood sugar levels and thus helps in maintaining proper blood content levels in the body. This is a great boon for people suffering from Diabetes.
The seeds are very rich in iron, which makes it an essential natural health ingredient. This iron content helps to treat anemia, makes blood rich in hemoglobin content and also helps in acting as a carrier of oxygen to the cells in the body.
Cumin seeds contain Thymoquinone, which reduces inflammatory processes and other mediators that cause asthma. They also act as a bronchodilator.
This is achieved by its anti-oxidant characteristics that fight against impurities and free radicals. This helps in making the body’s immunity better in combating diseases.
The seeds are rich in iron which is necessary for the formation of hemoglobin in the blood. This in turn is required for the transportation of oxygen in the body. Consuming cumin seeds will keep one protected from anemia.
It is healthy for women of all age groups and is known to influence a healthy menstrual cycle.
It is helpful in treating colon and breast cancer. The seeds contain thymoquinone, dithymoquinone, thymohydroquinone and thymol which are anti-carcinogenic agents.
Cold and Respiration:
It is rich in Vitamin C and has anti-fungal properties. These help to cure cold and other respiratory problems. Cumin seeds are also suggested for kidney health.
Good metabolism process helps to keep all the other body processes in check. Iron present in this plant helps to properly maintain our metabolic activity.
Enzymes present in cumin help to breakdown foods and thus aid in digestion.