Tonsils are one of the most significant organs in our body that helps in filtering out germs that enter the body. If the tonsils get infected by bacteria or viruses, they become swollen and swallowing can be really difficult. Most common causes of inflamed tonsil are bacterial and viral infection.
Tonsillitis, the more technical term for inflamed tonsils, can be really hard especially for infants and children. Hence, it is important to get medical help once the inflammation becomes uncontrollable. Depending on the severity, treatment for tonsillitis can range from home remedies to surgery for the most severe case. However, for mild to moderate discomforts of tonsillitis, the following can help you deal with this matter.
Home Remedies and Natural Cures for Inflamed Tonsils
What are the most common cures for tonsillitis?
* Gargling for every two to three hours using a mint mouthwash is one of the most effective ways to deal with inflammation in the tonsils. Just be sure that the mouthwash can reach the back of your throat and into the tonsils.
* For adults, aspirin can be taken to ease the inflammation while in the case of children, acetaminophen is recommended. Throat lozenges are also effective in numbing the throat and relieving the inflammation.
* Also, it is advisable to stay hydrated when your tonsils are inflamed. Cold beverages or frozen liquids can best help you ease the pain of tonsillitis.
* Getting ample amount of sleep and rest is also a useful way to cope with tonsillitis since the body regenerates and re-energizes its immunity while sleeping.
* Of course, a person must avoid smoking as well as other irritants since it can further irritate the tonsils.
* Checking or monitoring your temperature twice a day can also help you track down the severity of your tonsillitis. If you have fever that lasts for more than two days, you must seek the advice of your doctor.
* Garlic and onion are also two of the many natural remedies that are believed to be effective in treating tonsils inflammation. Some herbal experts and even doctors suggest their patients to eat garlic cloves because of the anti-inflammatory properties present in garlic and onions.
* Intake of fruits rich in Vitamin C is also helpful in reducing the swell in the tonsils. Citrus fruits can help fight the bacteria or viruses that are causing the inflammation.
When to Seek Medical Advice
If the symptoms of tonsillitis such as continuous fever and sore throat, it is necessary to consult your doctor immediately. Untreated infections in the tonsils can lead to fatal problems such as heart damage.